Monday, March 10, 2014

A daylight savings weekend treat


A bit of warmth peeked out this weekend, and I almost lost my head over it. I honestly felt like hugging myself, like I could preserve the warmth by clutching it around me.

I decided to celebrate this hint of Spring by gifting myself with a treat that I haven't given myself in a while - a long, leisurely wander through my favorite, local, public library branch. After careful perusal and deliberation, I walked away with four books and an audio book (approximately half of items that I had originally picked up). I don't really know what it feels like to delight over a shopping spree, but I imagine it feels like this - a wonderful, satisfied feeling.  

Some other treats from the weekend:

Best eat - Alvarado St. Bakery sprouted multi-grain bread - a new-to-me loaf with an excellent, chewy texture.

Best read - "The 'Boys' in the Bunkhouse" via the New York Times - A nuanced look at the lives of a few dozen men with intellectual disabilities, their neglect and eventual re-introduction to society.


Questions
- What gives you that "wonderful, satisfied feeling"?
- What is the best article you've read recently?






7 comments:

  1. What gave me the wonderful, satisfied feeling this weekend was not as healthy as your bread. I had mint Klondike bars (yes, there was more than one). The ice cream is so smooth in them and the chocolate, well it's chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I should probably disclose that I also ate froyo and several cookies (one black and white) this weekend. :)

      Delete
  2. A fire in the fireplace and a good book or working on knitting that's not too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! One thing I really miss about our previous house is the fireplace. At my in-law's house, I like to fall asleep in front of their fireplace. In our current place, I'm not too proud to go and read in front of the space heater. :)

      Delete
    2. It's funny, I grew up with a fireplace but my husband didn't and he initially was very hesitant to use it--but now, he's the one who gets all excited about having a fire. It's fun to watch my kids react to having a fire--they love to cozy down and read and relax in front of it.

      Delete
  3. We have had wonderfully warm weather the past couple of days, too. I celebrated by cleaning off my desk at work really thoroughly -- Clorox wipes and all. I think I'm in spring cleaning mode. =) (I find it really funny because I am definitely not a "cleaner" at my house, but a messy desk at work makes me crazy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you. I simply cannot work when things are messy. It makes my mind feel cluttered/foggy. However, to others, I'm sure it looks like I take some pretty inopportune moments to clean. :-)

      Delete

Read something. See something. Think something. Share something.

I'd love to chat.