Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Oatmeal bread // fresh, chewy goodness


I feel like I say this too much, but nowadays, I consider time to be my most precious commodity. Though truly, I also continually marvel at how blessed I am to have an abundance of love in my life. So, I definitely believe the scales fall heavily in my favor.

Still, I'm constantly trying to figure out how to manage, maximize and generally squeeze the most out my time. As a result, I don't bake this bread every week, but I think it's fair to say that I've thought wistfully of making this recipe every weekend since my first try over the summer. 

The chewy texture and simple, comforting flavor repeatedly convinces me to stand over the kitchen sink and savor hot, thick slices moments after pulling the loaf out of the oven. I'm delighted that this recipe calls for a bread machine to do all the kneading, because otherwise, I'm not sure I'd ever get to enjoy that perfect, unreserved, embarrassing moment.

Note - I usually omit the sunflower seeds. 


Question - What foods cause you to throw self-control out the window?






8 comments:

  1. I'm going to make oatmeal bread today, too! I'm trying a new soup recipe (potato and cheese) and need some yummy bread to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that I should make some soup to go with this bread. Let me know if the soup recipe turns put to be a keeper.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we liked it! The link is lifelivedintentionally.blogspot.com/2013/11/crock-pot-cheesy-potato-soup.html

      I have a crockpot potato soup which we eat frequently--I put ham in it to increase the protein--and that's yummy, as well, but I wanted to try a cheesy crockpot soup. I've had difficulty in the past with cheese soups--they seem to turn out grainy--but this one didn't.

      Delete
    3. Mmm...it's snowy here today, so this soup sounds particularly good today!

      Delete
  2. Some interesting instructions in the link. I've never heard to measure the temperature in the middle of bread before. Do you have dough hooks? Most people I know who make bread regularly (not me), use dough hooks. Kneading is definitely hard as well as an art.

    I have a hard time controlling myself with almost any kind of chips. That goes ditto for Pepperidge Farm mint milanos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely take the easy route with this recipe. I use the bread machine for the kneading and don't bother with the temperature-taking. Actually, one of my favorite parts of this recipe is how forgiving it is. And... I'm pretty much a sucker for any Pepperidge Farm Cookie. Have you tried all the different Milanos - mint, dark chocolate, etc?

      Delete
    2. I have tried the different kinds of milanos, but none of them hold a candle to the mint ones as far as I'm concerned. Something about the delicate crisp of the cookie and the refreshing taste of the mint.

      Delete
    3. Agreed! Though I probably need to do some more extensive testing... :-)

      Delete

Read something. See something. Think something. Share something.

I'd love to chat.