Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Atypical


We've been having a lot of atypical weeks around here lately. Since I tend to thrive on routine, last week, with all it's oddball happenings, threw me. While I'm truly a morning person, full of pre-dawn chatter, all my discombobulation began with premature alarm clocks 

I started one day extra early to sneak in a dentist appointment before work. The good news is that I didn't have any cavities despite a longer than usual hiatus from regular visits.

I got a jump start on another day in order to work an earlier shift, so I could spend my evening careening around town, making appearances at holiday parties. The good news is that the city was strangely peaceful and quiet that night, which made for a nice, impromptu viewing of the sights that most people make a special trip to see.

Then, the morning after the aforementioned parties, I once again rolled out of bed in advance of the alarm to squeeze in a trip to the grocery store and the gym before the forecasted snow began in earnest. The good news is that we were able to stay warm and dry inside until being lured out by a hankering for dinner at one of favorite local waterholes, which is thankfully within walking distance of home.


Question - Do you thrive on routine or change? How do you handle a lack of routine/change?

When I can anticipate smaller changes in routine (ie - planned travel, outings), I do much better. So clearly, flexibility and spontaneity are areas in my life that require some development. This is a long-term project that I've managing with varying degrees of success.





2 comments:

  1. I thrive on routine and need it. However, I live with someone who doesn't need as much so there is always some give and take going on. Thirty years and we're still figuring it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, then I suppose I can anticipate us continuing to work it out as well. Though it has its perks. I just got a text suggesting we meet at a local restaurant for an impromptu date. He's pretty fun. :-)

      Delete

Read something. See something. Think something. Share something.

I'd love to chat.