Wednesday, January 25, 2012

An unusually blue sky


Last night, I left work, looked up and saw this. I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, immediately feeling chilled and sick to my stomach.

A couple of years ago, on an evening not unlike this night, I left work, drove home, walked in our front door, called out a greeting to my husband and began putting my stuff away. Then, he said something that filled me with cold and nausea: "What are you doing home? It's not yet 5 o'clock." 

Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness! At work, I had gotten it into my head that it was 5 o'clock, picked up my stuff and gone home. I'd left work in the middle of the afternoon! Then, with the chill past me and flaming cheeks firmly established in its place, I called my boss and confessed what had happened. She just laughed (along with all my co-workers for months afterwards), but I felt like such a fool.

So, last night, when I looked up and saw the blue sky, though I'd recently grown accustomed to commuting home in the dark, that damp-hands-but-dry-throat feeling overcame me again. I fumbled around in my bag for my cell phone, silently pleading, "Please don't tell me I just did it again!"

Thankfully, I had not. 

It was after 5 o'clock. The days are just getting longer, and I was able to smile up at the blue sky as I walked to the train station.

4 comments:

  1. I have close to doing the same thing, but have always caught myself in time, thank goodness. Great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work. I don't recommend doing what I did. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mar. That's a great story. I'm glad you get to enjoy the blue sky again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide whether to laugh or cry when I think about this story. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Read something. See something. Think something. Share something.

I'd love to chat.