Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Double ginger cookies...vegan



I'm such a sucker for candied ginger, so this recipe had me at "hello." 

While I'm new to vegan baking (I just learned that there is such a thing as vegan sugar), I'm not new to devouring vegan treats. I've had so many good experiences that I prefer them at the bakery, but don't ask me to explain why they have such a strong track record. I just don't know.

These double ginger cookies are soft and chewy, and better yet they stay soft and chewy. Any old cookie can have wonderful texture straight out of the oven, but these cookies retain it for days afterwards. Plus, each bite packs the spicy, sweet punch of candied ginger, which stands up well to the whole wheat flour. I fought the urge to reduce the whole wheat flour because I don't like it to be a dominant flavor, but I'm glad I trusted the recipe. The ginger kept the flour firmly in its place.

Notes - The dough can be alternatingly crumbly and sticky at inopportune moments. I recommend using 3/4 cup of applesauce (instead of 1/2 cup) to make it bind better and working quickly after chilling the dough so as not to give it a chance to warm. Also, since I'm not vegan, I didn't have or use vegan sugar, but feel free to make that substitution.


1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! Now that is a treat I have yet to experience. I am going to try it for sure. As soon as I am eating sugar again.

    ReplyDelete

Read something. See something. Think something. Share something.

I'd love to chat.