Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kissing strangers' foreheads


Do you ever get the urge to kiss strangers' foreheads? Since I brought it up, you can safely assume that I occasionally get that urge.

I get that feeling when someone honors me with an unguarded glimpse into their life story. I remember wanting to kiss the forehead of:

An elderly gentleman who explained how he and his wife negotiate over what movies to put in their Netflix queue;

A colleague who shared how she still misses her husband years after his passing;

A middle school girl who confided that she received a Nook for Christmas because she finished books so quickly that her parents couldn't keep up with her.

These people were so beautiful in their authenticity that words seemed an inadequate response. I suppose a forehead kiss fits where words fail.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. What a sweet way to see people. I haven't kissed anyone's forehead, but I'm an inveterate arm toucher. Can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a precious pony! I'll kiss your forehead!

    ReplyDelete

Read something. See something. Think something. Share something.

I'd love to chat.